I'm sure before you start reading, you're going to want to know who I am, so I'll introduce myself - I'm Tayne P., one of the friendliest and more responsible students at Clear Horizons!

Now I'd like to share my story about how I found out about AND managed to get into this school, so without further ado, here goes...

I was actually homeschooled all the way to 7th grade. Because I originally wanted to attend an online high school (Connections Academy), I had to go to public school at Victory Lakes Intermediate in 8th grade.

Then I heard about Clear Horizons ECHS. At first, I was in denial about even going to a public school (even though I kinda liked VLI), but as soon as I went to that first presentation about CHECHS, I immediately fell in love with how the school runs and all that, and that was the path I wanted to go.

So I went ahead and applied to CHECHS, and was eagerly waiting to see if I was one of the first 125 people in the lottery selection they have. Believe it or not, I made it in. I was actually lottery number 12, so as soon as I heard the news, I IMMEDIATELY became ecstatic about the news I had
just heard.

After all of that, I did everything else I needed to do (if you go to the rest of the presentations, you'll likely find out what you need to do), and
before I knew it, I was in! Of course, my parents and I were proud to have made it in this school!

So that's my story. Interesting, right? I hope you enjoy this blog! Check back for more interesting moments, tips, and tricks!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

School starts soon! Tips for getting ready for the first day of school

Well, hello there! As we all know, school is just around the corner! For Clear Creek ISD, school starts on August 22 (which is the day after the next), which means we'll be saying goodbye to all those summer moments we've had this year - whether it be Schlitterbahn, going on bike rides, going on vacation, or even just staying home and chilling! Most of us also didn't have to worry about schoolwork over the summer (unless you happened to take summer school). But unfortunately, all of that's ending soon.

Since summer's ending, and school is about to start for the year, here are a few tips on *hopefully* getting ready for school to start on the first day.

  • Get a good night's sleep before the first day of school. This tip can't be stressed enough. Some people don't listen and start trying to adjust their sleep schedule the day BEFORE school starts. That won't work well, as you will probably feel tired when you wake up to your alarm. If you're unlucky enough to fall back asleep and you turned off your alarm completely, you're probably going to be late the first day if you don't have parents waking you up in time. Not a good thing to have happen to you, so... please, start adjusting your sleep schedule well before school starts (I started my normal sleep schedule a week before school starts. Should work well enough.) Oh, and when you adjust your sleep schedule, be sure to go to bed at a regular weekday bedtime. Disregard all of this on the weekend, as you want to get a feel for the routine.
  • Come to school PREPARED. Seriously. Even though high schools might not provide school supply lists until you get to your classes, you will still do yourself a huge favor by coming to school prepared. At the very list, bring some pencils, pens, notebooks, and other obviously necessary school supplies. I wouldn't waste time going to the store to buy binders until after you get more information on what size binder you need for a particular class. The reason why I say this is because you risk buying the wrong size binder, and will then have to go to the store again to buy the right size binder. So basically, come to school prepared, but not too prepared.
  • Try not to be one of the "distracted" students. Yes, I know it seems tempting to bust out your phone and check your social media and/or play Pokemon Go during school hours, but don't do it. You risk getting your device taken up when you do this. And getting your device taken up will not leave a good feeling for you. If it gets taken up in a Clear Creek ISD school, you'll have to come to their office later and pay a $15 fee to get it back. Probably not worth it for being impatient with everything that's happening on your phone. And yes, we've all done it before. Some of them never had their devices taken up, while others have gotten theirs taken up several times. Guess it just depends on the person and/or their skill level in hiding their evidence of being a distracted student. At least most of them still take notes and get good grades.
  • If you're new to a school, try to ask for directions between classes! When you set foot in a new school, you're going to get lost if you don't know where your classes are. If you don't ask, you're going to be late to your class (although they usually let it go on the first couple days, as they understand being lost). Even then, you should still ask for directions. Once you know the path between your classes, getting between your classes during passing periods should be easier. At that point, you can start attempting to find shortcuts if you need to or want to. If you try that and the shortcut doesn't work out, you should obviously stop taking it before it starts causing problems.
  • Have fun in school (without being trouble!) School's that much more tolerable if you find friends and talk with them throughout the day (although don't cause trouble in the process!) Besides, friendships are very important in life! It's good to have friends involved in your life! Sure, there will be disagreements with some of your friends at some times in your life, but don't stress out about it if you can! Just have fun in school when you can, because again, school will be that much more enjoyable if you do this!
So those are my tips for getting ready for school to start on the first day! Take them to good use! You'll be thankful for those tips later during your career in school!

No comments:

Post a Comment