I'm sure before you start reading, you're going to want to know who I am, so I'll introduce myself - I'm Tayne P., one of the friendliest and more responsible students at Clear Horizons!

Now I'd like to share my story about how I found out about AND managed to get into this school, so without further ado, here goes...

I was actually homeschooled all the way to 7th grade. Because I originally wanted to attend an online high school (Connections Academy), I had to go to public school at Victory Lakes Intermediate in 8th grade.

Then I heard about Clear Horizons ECHS. At first, I was in denial about even going to a public school (even though I kinda liked VLI), but as soon as I went to that first presentation about CHECHS, I immediately fell in love with how the school runs and all that, and that was the path I wanted to go.

So I went ahead and applied to CHECHS, and was eagerly waiting to see if I was one of the first 125 people in the lottery selection they have. Believe it or not, I made it in. I was actually lottery number 12, so as soon as I heard the news, I IMMEDIATELY became ecstatic about the news I had
just heard.

After all of that, I did everything else I needed to do (if you go to the rest of the presentations, you'll likely find out what you need to do), and
before I knew it, I was in! Of course, my parents and I were proud to have made it in this school!

So that's my story. Interesting, right? I hope you enjoy this blog! Check back for more interesting moments, tips, and tricks!

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Interesting good week of sophomore year + blog name & link change

OK, if you're a CHECHS student, you know this has probably been said many times before - we're not having any classes tomorrow (which is Friday) - we really just have a very long advisory period (as we wait to pick up our college textbooks) and the fall social, which basically means a lazy school day to most people! (Yay!) Besides that, I've got to say... I think I've had a very interesting sophomore year so far. In my case, it's mainly with either the bus ride or the technology people.

When it comes to the buses, almost every day this week so far has had an interesting moment this week. The first day got its very own post with its very own story (and we were very late getting back home that day). The second day was business as usual (nothing interesting there). The third day, however, our neighborhood bus driver in the morning found a way to dodge traffic at a light, part of which involve going straight through the light, backing up elsewhere, and turning right from the other side of the light. That's also when I heard that my Horizons bus driver was going to start assigning seats - but she'd let us choose our seats, and to start getting in the habit of sitting in the same spot every day so we'd be used to it. How nice of her to do this!

On the fourth day, we had a little situation with our morning neighborhood bus. As we leave our last stop and get up to speed in the neighborhood, the bus driver's "No Students On Board" sign fell out of the bus driver's window and into the road. (Oh no!) So, the driver had to back up the bus about 100 feet or so to get the sign back, and ended up blocking someone's driveway (unfortunately, they wanted out at the time, so she had to wait. The driver of the car seemed to understand.) After that situation was settled, all was well and normal after that.

And I want to tell you a little story about the school laptops and the interesting part about that day (which was also on the fourth day). So, on the second day of school, I turned my old laptop in to the tech because it wouldn't boot. Was told to come back on Thursday, so I was totally cool with that. Sure enough, I come back on Thursday, and my laptop's ready for me! And it turns out it's not the laptop I was expecting. Sure, it was the same model, but it felt totally different AND it was running Windows 10, not 8.1. I learned that as soon as I saw the Windows 10 loading logon screen when I powered it on. Turns out I had gotten a BRAND NEW laptop from CCISD (thanks so much for that laptop, CCISD! I really love it!), which is great, because hopefully the newer version will be more reliable! Speaking of reliable, I feel like attempting to compare the two laptops in terms of hardware, so here goes... Both models are Dell Latitude 3150, if you were curious on what the District-provided student laptops were.

The older, 2015 version had an Intel Pentium N3540 @ 2.16GHz, 4GB of RAM, and a 500GB 7200RPM HDD. (Yes, they had an actual hard drive in there. Not the best when it comes to rough handling, but it still works for many students, because most of them still have this version.)

The newer, 2016 version has the exact same processor (Intel Pentium N3540), exact same amount of RAM (4GB), and a smaller (but faster) 128GB SSD. Yes, it's a solid-state drive with no moving parts, which means the newer version is almost silent, in addition to having a possible increase in reliability.

The only main software difference is that the older version runs Windows 8.1, while the newer version runs Windows 10. Other than that, the laptop models are basically the same!

So that's the end of the interesting story of my good week of sophomore year. I do want to say something about this blog, though... so keep reading. I decided to change the name of this blog from "CHECHS Survival Guide" to "CHECHS Life" and the blog link from chechssurvivalguide.blogspot.com to chechslife.blogspot.com . The reason? It makes a lot more sense to have it named to "CHECHS Life" (or at least, to me). Besides, this whole thing was still a work in progress, so... yeah. Students, good luck out there! See ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment