I'm sure before you start reading, you're going to want to know who I am, so I'll introduce myself - I'm Tayne P., one of the friendliest and more responsible students at Clear Horizons!

Now I'd like to share my story about how I found out about AND managed to get into this school, so without further ado, here goes...

I was actually homeschooled all the way to 7th grade. Because I originally wanted to attend an online high school (Connections Academy), I had to go to public school at Victory Lakes Intermediate in 8th grade.

Then I heard about Clear Horizons ECHS. At first, I was in denial about even going to a public school (even though I kinda liked VLI), but as soon as I went to that first presentation about CHECHS, I immediately fell in love with how the school runs and all that, and that was the path I wanted to go.

So I went ahead and applied to CHECHS, and was eagerly waiting to see if I was one of the first 125 people in the lottery selection they have. Believe it or not, I made it in. I was actually lottery number 12, so as soon as I heard the news, I IMMEDIATELY became ecstatic about the news I had
just heard.

After all of that, I did everything else I needed to do (if you go to the rest of the presentations, you'll likely find out what you need to do), and
before I knew it, I was in! Of course, my parents and I were proud to have made it in this school!

So that's my story. Interesting, right? I hope you enjoy this blog! Check back for more interesting moments, tips, and tricks!

Monday, August 22, 2016

First day of Sophomore Year - So Far, So Good... and Interesting!

Wow. I didn't think I was going to have this interesting of a time when it's the first day of school. Yes, your routine is different and a lot more organized than from how it was during the summer, but we all know that's only temporary. Now that we're back to organized routines and the first day of school has passed by, it's only a matter of time before you start actually getting used to it.

When the first day of school arrives, we probably all think that our teachers will not even try to give us homework on the first day of school. If you think that, I'd say think again. You're forgetting that once you're in the course for the first day, your teachers are probably going to hand you a syllabus for the class. And more than likely, you and/or your parents will need to sign that syllabus, along with all the other things the school wants you and the parents to sign, like the bus cards for the Transportation Department and such.

And, on top of ALL of that, some teachers just happen to be mean enough to assign homework before you leave that class on the first day of school. Man, talk about a seemingly tedious start of a student's school year! (Unfortunately, as time goes by, and when we start seeing finals mentioned at schools and colleges, the difficulty will only get worse.)

If you want to ask how my first day went in person, I'd probably end up just saying "It went well!" and then asking them the same thing. I've noticed people don't really like to stick around for stories when they just wanted the answer to a simple question, so I just end up keeping it short, even though it's likely I got a lot more details about how my day ACTUALLY went. But here, since I mentioned it, I'll give you a rundown of what happened today that made this first day quite interesting.

What makes a first day of high school quite interesting, you ask? Well, I'm glad you did! You see, when we got to school, and when we starting getting information about the classes we were going to be taking IN our classes, by the time the clock struck 11:15 AM, the power to all of San Jac South went out for a solid 20 seconds, then went back on. The reason why that happened? It was really stormy out there at the time. Classes were completely normal after that, although a little bit of commotion about the power going out was heard at that time. If you think that's all there is, keep reading, because there's a lot more to this entire story.

When we were actually dismissed for the day at our regular dismissal time, 3:20 PM, that's when the interesting parts really do get interesting. And I thought I was just in for a normal commute back to Victory Lakes Intermediate, and then back home. But nope, it turns out I was in for a HUGE ride back home. As soon as we left CHECHS (later than usual, as it was the first day and we left at 3:29 PM instead of 3:25 PM), we find there's really heavy traffic on Beamer Rd, so we took an alternate way with intent on heading on to I-45. But we didn't get very far... before all of a sudden, the radio needs Route 119 (which, by the way, is the Horizons bus for Clear Springs). As soon as I overheard that we needed to go BACK to CHECHS, my mind was like "Oh, no...", and so was the passenger next to me. Even another CCISD bus was wondering what was going on, as they pulled right next to us (blocking 2 lanes of traffic in the process).

As we head back, it turns out they want us to take some students to Brookside Intermediate. We originally were asked to take some students to both Clear Lake Intermediate AND Brookside Intermediate, but when the students started coming out to board the bus, it turns out we had a LOT more students than even I was expecting. Not only was the bus was almost full of people sitting 2 to a seat, but more students would have to board our bus either way. So, she had to stop the students coming in the bus and quickly come up with a plan. Needless to say, we were all very surprised about this even happening. After some thinking (and being ignored when she tried to call Base to report the overcrowding issue), we eventually decided we could take all of the Brookside Intermediate students. So we did just that. By the time the bus finished loading, pretty much everyone was sitting 3 to a seat. Not a comfortable way to ride a school bus, but if we have to, we have to. It still works.

Finally, after all that trouble, and leaving at 3:42 PM, we still go the way we originally planned (the non-Beamer way). Due to all the heavy traffic everywhere, it took us quite a while to even get to Brookside, which means we have to tell a few bus routes to wait - both at Victory Lakes AND Creekside. Because I'm so cool to be sitting at the front of the bus (and knowing that I was a really good bus rider last year), I got the HUGE honor of helping my bus driver with writing down what bus routes need to wait for the Horizons bus. So I did. And believe it or not, the results were just what I expected - only a few buses had to wait, while pretty much the rest of them got to go on their way.

We arrive at Creekside at about 4:15 PM. No interesting stuff there, just dropping off passengers. But it's not the same when we depart, however. When we did depart, a totally different intermediate student who knew Route 119 was with Creekside last year and stood RIGHT by the door, with his friends watching. The bus driver just drove away safely, with the kids laughing about the fact that he just got denied by a bus driver! (Of course he would, he doesn't need to ride! It's not his route anymore!)

We then (finally) arrive at Victory Lakes at 4:34 PM. Apparently a student on the bus who knew me and rode the same neighborhood intermediate bus as I did tried to catch my attention, but I didn't hear him. Since I actually wanted to get back home today, and there was absolutely no time, I rushed. It turns out he wanted to follow me to the intermediate bus I ride (because I know he rides the same bus I do - all three of them). If I had heard him, I likely would've stopped and let him follow me.

So we got on the intermediate bus, and the really interesting part ends there, apart from the intermediate bus having a sign telling our students the bus is not a Pokemon zone and it will NOT stop in order to attempt for a student to catch an imaginary creature, as they don't exist in reality.

So that's my story of how my first day of sophomore year went. Sounds interesting, but I know it's probably not going to be like that tomorrow. That was just too interesting for a possibility of this happening again. Because as we all probably would've guessed by now, no two commutes are the same when it comes to being on the road. Ever.

Oh, and did I mention I got to see pretty much all my best friends at my neighborhood high school ON the first day? That must've been pure luck right there, or great planning on their part (because of course, I wasn't involved in that discussion.)

Have a great day and good luck to all students who read this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment